Monday, October 18, 2010

Reflection: Teaching Placement & the use of ICT

After just completing my last teaching placement, I thought I would leave a few observations, comments and opinions about the use of ICT in the classroom!

While on my last teaching placement ever, I was fortunate enough to oversee the implementation of Interactive Whiteboard's in my year 6 classroom. In conjunction with this, I was also working in an open plan teaching environment which was also very exciting!!! i found the use of incorporating ICT into every lesson very interesting, challenging and engaging. Students loved the ability to interact with myself and the whiteboard. Students were also particularly fond of touching the Interactive board and thus I tried to incorporate its use into my literacy and numeracy group rotations! As a class, we completed online quizzes through BrainPoP (http://www.brainpop.com/), completed funny literacy games using acronyms, nouns, verbs etc on Wacky Web Tales (http://www.wackywebtales.com/), used interactive Atlas CD's and watched interactive videos on the digestive system! The Interactive whiteboard is beneficial and appeals to a wider scope audience of different learning styles. In one lesson, the use of the Interactive whiteboard can appeal to visual, linguistic, musical and spatial learners. Also, no matter what a students' learning style or level of ability is, everyone in the class is engaged when the lesson is centered around interactive learning, including the teacher!
I was also fortunate enough to introduce my year 6 kids to online games using the http://www.quia.com/ website which Greg had recommended. My students created many games in their literacy groups based on either the texts they were reading in their literacy groups or around Australian concepts and geography (e.g. money, cities, suburbs, animals, places of interests etc) of which they were studying in our integrated unit on Australia. By the end of my placement, most students had mastered the art of creating online games and they loved it! I also introduced the students to the concept of WebQuests and Wikis. I am proud to say, my mentoring teacher continues to use online games as a literacy rotation group, the students are currently completing a WebQuest on Australia, which I co-designed and the whole of year 6 has implemented a teacher-student wiki where students can submit their homework online and have an ongoing discussion about school work with their teacher- how awesome!!!! What a wonderful and exciting teaching career I have to look forward to- now for a job!!!!
Heidi Smith 19/08/2010 ©

No comments:

Post a Comment