Tuesday, August 3, 2010

WEEK 2- ePortfolios

Reflections on the Workshop

Applying for Jobs in Victorian Schools and the Interview Process

Today, we spent the first half of the workshop discussing ways we can successfully prepare for applying for teaching jobs and how to thoroughly prepare for the teaching interview process. Some of the key issues Greg discussed were:

· Do your homework on the school (read school policies, newsletters and website)

· Avoid a generic application by ensuring to answer criteria according to the school’s beliefs and philosophy etc

· Make your application standout by ensuring that it is grammatically correct and the font type and size is legible and most importantly do not go over the page limit!

· Write about something about yourself when addressing the criteria (for example if the school has a sports program, it would be to my benefit to include that I have participated, watched and coached many types of sporting teams including cricket, football, volleyball, athletics and hockey)

· Include referees who like you and any referees who can prove your links to the community such as Church Leaders, sporting coaches etc.

Greg also, gave some general “hygiene” hints that I found were basically common sense no matter the type of interview you were to attend. Finally, to quote Greg, one of the major keys to a successful interview (other than content knowledge and articulation of verbal communication) is to “dress well and play the game”.

Generally, I found Greg’s ideas very informative and helpful. I only wish that I had known this information earlier, when I completed my Graduate Diploma in Secondary Education in 2004. Unfortunately, I learnt a lot of what Greg had to say by actually going through the interview process myself. Although, I have heard most of this information from past mentors and learnt through my own experience I think it was a beneficial discussion to have with the class.



Brochure using Microsoft Publisher

In the second part of the workshop, we were introduced to more technology!!! Although, we were rushed, we managed to slap together a “brochure” using Microsoft Publisher (see picture). Personally, I struggled a little to use the software correctly because I kept accidentally deleting things but after the workshop I had a little more of a play and experimented with different images and designs. I am rather fond of this software and I think it provides a great tool for students to be creative. For example, in my webQuest I am creating, I have asked students to design a menu for Africa and I think that using Microsoft Publisher for this activity would work very well. With the use of this software, students will be able to combine their ICT skills (cut, paste and design) with their English skills (ability to read informative texts and summarize information into their own words).



ePortfolio using Microsoft Publisher

Again, we were briefly introduced how to use Microsoft Publisher to create our ePortfolio which is not only needed for assessment but will hopefully is a winning asset to have in a job interview! We did not work much with aspect of the program today but I can see similarities between Microsoft Publisher and Dreamweaver (software program I have used previously). More to follow!



Heidi Smith 04/08/2010 ©

No comments:

Post a Comment