How to Jump a Frog!!!
In the first part of the workshop, Greg introduced the class to the old Technology CSF design brief. He also mentioned how the old design brief had been updated since CSF had changed to VELS. Using this brief Greg set forth a challenge for the class to work in pairs to make a paper frog “jump”. As part of the process we had to use the design brief to Investigate/Design what we were going to do, then we had to ‘Produce’ our design and finally Analyse and Evaluate our design. Greg provided us with the following equipment; paper frog, rubber band, sticky tape and a piece of cardboard (about the size of two matchboxes) stating that ALL equipment must be used in the design and implementation of the frog jump.
I
The hardest part of this activity was documenting what we did trying to use modern technology! Emily and I took video footage and still images of the materials we used and the design and implementation of the design using my new iPhone. From there, I was able to upload the images and video to facebook and save the pictures to my hard drive. I then edited the images in paint, using the skills I have acquired over the last two weeks and I was able to upload them into the blog. However, I was unable to save my video using the same process. I
Video Dramas Revisited
Week 3, Greg and I discovered if you copy the embedded html (video) code from YouTube and then paste the html code into a word document and then copy again and paste the html code into the blog, the video will finally upload to the blog!!!
Creating online Games and Activities using www.quia.com
There are however a couple of concerns I do have about using this website. Firstly, as Greg pointed out, you can use the 30 day trial period for as long as you wish (i.e. you can keep renewing it) however after the initial 30 day trial period elapses, all online games will disappear unless you pay for a subscription (approximately US$40) and this will continue to happen after every 30 days. I also find it disappointing that valuable student work will disappear if a school is using the website by trial and does not subscribe. The other negative factor I found was it appears that games and activities created can not be downloaded or printed??? This means if work is created for assessment purposes it is strictly viewed via the PC and neither the student nor teacher has access to the activities and games unless connected to the Internet and PC. My question here is, if you choose to incorporate a lot of ICT in the classroom by using quia.com how do you show parents how well or how poorly their students are travelling if you cannot produce written or printed evidence? Personally, I would like to be able to say, “This is what I have asked them to do… and this is what Jeremy has produced.”
Heidi Smith 11/08/2010 ©
No comments:
Post a Comment